before

tools to help you assess your urges before you give in to them, and to help you understand and learn from slips after they happen. by posting here, you're saying that you are serious about exploring the feelings behind your self-harm in depth, whether you're ready to stop hurting yourself or not. to request posting access, click usergroups above and join before and after.

Moderator: treasure

treasure
forum moderator - workshop & before & after
forum moderator - workshop & before & after

before

Post by treasure » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:21 pm

i watched a tv show tonight that was a final competition of upcoming comedians. 2 of the comedians, maybe 3, made jokes involving si, and i feel a bit annoyed and triggered by that.
twice in the past week my sister has made a thowaway comment about killing herself, as a way of saying such-and-such would be an awful situation and she'd have no choice but to su. it was generally a trivial situation that would be difficult but not depressing or something that generally results in real su thoughts.
same as with the tv show, i freeze. i think "oh shit why are you saying that" and have churning emotions that i can't quite hang on to.

i feel like i have no reason not to si, that no one really cares if i do it, and it helps me so why not. i feel like the nearly 10 months without it are just a short time compared to life in general, or compared to how long i did si (maybe 5 years?). it's "no big deal" to throw it away and start again...
but i know it is. once, twice and then i'm stuck again, holding on to a coping strategy that's doomed to fail. i'm ok with faded scars, i can explain them as past activity, enlighten ppl about si and don't have to feel guilty. what about fresh/new wounds/scars? how am i supposed to face my sister after that?
inner voice - it doesn't have to give you scars, try something else...
i'm not sure why but i find scars a lot more satisfying, so it's not that hard to hold off on that thought. i guess i should figure out what i should do besides typing here in order to cope. thinking too much might lead to giving in, although it probably won't. i think going so long without makes it a lot easier to deal with urges and i'm thankful for that.
for now... i think trying to sleep which just make things worse, but i'm tired. i might read for a little while. maybe play some distracting computer games first. maybe play music later to help me sleep.
*sigh*
treasure
virtual hugs welcome.
shiny place or old place